Open 'til 6pm All Bank Holiday
trustpilot reviews logo

Abergavenny Town FC win spectacularly FAW Trophy Semi-Final Game

Saturday 13th August 2016

blog featured image

Abergavenny Town FC win 7.0 v FC Queens Park

After a six year gap, Monmouthshire has a representative in the final of the FAW Trophy, and the Town got there in spectacular style. Facing higher rated opponents from Wrexham, Town shrugged off their under-dog mantle and produced a stunning result. Craig Norman set them on their way, carrying the ball from mid-field before sliding it past the Queens Park ‘keeper on 12 minutes.

Queens Park showed they are a solid outfit and carried the play to Town for parts of the half before Town started to gain the ascendancy. It was this pressure which led to Queens Park’s Barry Torrance being dismissed for violent conduct just before the break. At the re-start Queens Park showed a steely determination and attacked straight from the whistle.

Three minutes in, they must have thought they had scored, but Town’s ‘keeper, Tom Indge produced an outstanding save. How Queens Park came to rue that lost chance, as ten minutes later Town’s captain Jamie Summers rose to meet a pin-point Jeremiah corner to grab that all-important second goal. Next, it was provider Jeremiah’s turn to hit the back of the net, gaining just reward for his left wing efforts, and with this the floodgates opened. Dean Morgan latched onto a poor pass to put Town four up on 70 minutes, and then hard working Dan Jenkins scored in the very next minute.


Craig Norman scored again after a ten minute gap, but the final word was left to Jenkins who blasted a screamer with the outside of his boot, giving Park’s ‘keeper no chance, as Town cruised to victory. In the other semi-final Sully Sports beat Rhostyllen 1-0 at Llanidloes FC to set up an all- south Wales final on Sat 16 April, at a venue to be announced.

On Saturday, second placed Town return to league duty with an away trip to Treharris Athletic Western (2.30pm). Meanwhile at Penypound last Saturday, Town’s reserve side went down 0-3 to Bridgend Street.

Steven Morgan, Abergavenny Town:

It was a great performance Sat from everyone involved, we went into the game playing a team which is above us in the Welsh football pyramid system. They hadn’t been beaten for 17 games and where on a high coming into this game and knew we had to play better than anytime this season to get the win. our focus was to play with a high tempo and match them in every department from the first whistle hoping to unsettle them. This we achieved and when they had a player sent off just before half time through frustration we knew we were in with a chance. After half time in a 20 min spell we really pressed and scored 3 goals which killed the game off and got the players the win they worked so hard for . After the disappointment of losing at the same stage last year it has really given the club a massive lift as we enter the final stages of our League campaign in which we are 3 points of the leaders Pontypridd with 12 games to play.

From all the players and management team i would like to thank our loyal sponsors TCW who have given us there backing through all the bad times. Hopefully we can go on and with a cup this year and honour your valid support.